Thursday, August 4, 2011

No-Sew Throw Pillow Covers

A few months ago I purchased a selection of napkins from World Market online (unfortunately no stores in the NY/NJ/CT area, from what I can tell). I love the colors in them (the blue-green combination) as well as the block print-like pattern and the ric-rac trim. I knew I would use them at some point in some capacity.

I wanted to add more throw pillow covers to my ever-growing collection and needed something different in the family room so I decided I to put some Fabric Fusion to work with the napkins. Also, these colors would work perfectly in the room.

I had purchased two different patterns (small and large) in this blue and green combination so I decided to combine one of each to create the cover.


I washed the napkins and did a light (as is apparent) ironing first. Next I determined which way I wanted the patterns to face when the pillow is turned around and where the opening would be. I then placed one napkin over the other (different pattern) as shown below, aligning them as best I could, right sides facing out (as you would if you were going to insert the pillow). 

I applied the Fabric Fusion to the hemmed portion of the lower piece.


I repeated this on three sides. Remember, these are homemade and no-sew and may not necessarily - in my case did not abolutely have to - align perfectly. This is a small section of the cover after Fabric Fusion was applied.

Once dried (after time indicated on bottle), this is what the seam looked like on the whole.
 



I think it looks pretty good!

Well, as you might have guessed, my work is not done. This is what I shall be working on today - the opening.

Old pillow peeking through

I considered different options and then decided on ties. These were so easy to put together thus far. I shall hopefully be able to share the completed covers with you tomorrow.
I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.
Lisa

19 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa , I just left a comment on your enchanting entrance post , which said I loved your post and then went exploring your blog...now I must say ...It will be fun Following you :) keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh love the pattern and color, those would look great in my family room! ;) Good luck with closing the top, I hate sewing and love the old stitch witchery/bonding/fusing stuff for curtains and other such sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extremely creative! I love the pattern, the elegant trim, and the color combination of the napkins! I also like how the project is made a great deal easier by using fabric glue to seal the cover rather than sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. luv ur blog lisa...very nice...ur pillow is simply stylish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! And what is that little splash of blue and green ikat I saw in the background of one of the pictures? That looked cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect project for a gal with DIY ADD like me! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering about that ikat HollyG mentioned too! The pillow are great and I love the fabric. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabric is so cute cant wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tutorial...love your pillows!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love block prints and those colors are just my choice. Thanks for sharing the info about that fabric glue. I am a no-sew person and the glue might just come in handy. Love the pillows!! The zig-zag lace added to the beauty!

    I am hosting my first Link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays. Would be glad to see you there :)

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing! Love the fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are awesome! looooove those colors and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at "no sew" because me and the sewing machine have not really made friends yet (c: And the print on those are darling! I can't wait to see the finished look, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job!! The fabric choices are beautiful. I think I definitely will try the fabric fusion. It turned out so well. Thanks for stopping by my blog. So happy to find yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your pretty fabric and the trim is such a lovely detail.

    I like any projects that involves no sew because I can't sew to save my life!

    Good post!

    Happy weekend!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pillows look lovely, Lisa! I loved the fabric prints.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the napkin fabric! Awesome. Have you tried Stitch Witchery? It's a similar no sew method, but doesn't have the dry time since you iron it on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so darling. I love the new sew aspect. Great tutorial. Might need to try this with the WM napkins.

    ReplyDelete