Friday, October 5, 2012

Positioning the living room rug & dining room curtains update

The chevron knot rug is heavenly. And I say that because the texture feels just wonderful!




 
I wanted to lighten things up in the living room and downplay the formality of the space with the more traditional and a few global pieces of furniture. My living room truly is an eclectic playground of colors and styles.

 
The living room is 22' x 14'. The previous rug had been removed a few months ago while I searched for something different. The rug arrived. I had a number of pieces of furniture to move to make way for it and I did it by myself.
 
 
But first, the rug pad had to be place in the exact position I wanted. Then I had the rug (still rolled up) all ready to position when I realized it needed to be moved width-wise on the rug pad. I had to haul it gradually; it was very heavy. Then I opened it up, straightening the rug pad as I went along.

It is not an easy task if you take it on all by yourself after moving furniture aside. But like I had said before, I was not waiting for help.
 

 
 Rug pad and rug need to be perfectly aligned before the unravelling or else...
 
 
 
Quite frustrating! I nudged the rug over from the opposite side, straightening it even more as I went along. Made of wool and cotton, it had some give to it and so I then gradually pulled/stretched it at the end.

 
 
 
Not an easy feat but well worth the effort.
And then all the furniture was moved back in.


In the meantime, the dining room curtains have had the beaded trim added to the bottom to increase the length. I picked them up last week and they are look great. They currently lie on my dining table.




I have to reinstall the rod and get these curtains up next.

Enjoy your weekend! We hope to enjoy some fun fall activities; perhaps some apple-picking.
 
If you require any help with Interior Decorating please click on the tab at the top of my page marked 'Services' or click here for further details.
 
I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.

14 comments:

  1. I've done that with a carpet before so I know it isn't an easy job. Like you I couldn't wait for the husband to help we women want to see! I love your curtains Lisa and can't wait to see them hanging in your dining room.

    Enjoy your weekend!
    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh do I know those moving a rug by yourself frustrations. Good for you to keep going. At that point, I usually cut the pad that shows. Don't you think this is where hardwood floors pay off...you can just count the boards to keep it lined up. That trim on your curtains will add such a nice level of bling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten about the beautiful trim for your drapes, can't wait to see them up! I would never wait for help either ~ it's a good workout! :) Happy weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After moving that rug and pad I hope you enjoyed a decadent treat cause you sure worked off some calories! I so love that lovely crystal drop trim and can't wait to see how those drapes look installed. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks hard to do by yourself, but I know when I'm on a decorating mission I can't be stopped. The rug looks so fresh and soft. Totally worth the effort. Can't wait to see the curtains up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I love the new rug and yes those pads can be a hassle. I like the new table too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a difficult thing to do by yourself. I've done it myself, so I know. Looks good though! Love those draperies too. I bet you can't wait to get them hung.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh this is all coming together so nicely! And the more I see that beautiful rug, the more I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that rug so much - I'm glad you're so happy with it. And those window treatments look so pretty. Hope you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what's really pretty and cool? Ever hear of flameless tea light candles? They're the cutest things and they really brighten up a room! Be the first of your friends to get one. They're safe and useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm catching up on my blog reading - loving the chevron rug! I'm going to check out the rest of the progress :)

    Red Soles and Red Wine

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's looking great. I love the curtains! Can't wait to see it altogether.
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Curtain is essential for house to increase look and there are many varieties in curtain which can give awesome look. I like to decorate home with curtains.

    ReplyDelete