Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Living Room : the octagonal table

I have referred to a slightly new layout I have introduced to the living room once the new west elm rug was positioned . Before I write a post about that I wanted to share this special table with you.
 
It was gifted to us several years ago. My parents carried it with them all the way from India. It is an antique piece and unusual because of its octagonal shape.
 
 
 
 
About 31" in diameter and just 7" high, it has adorned the living room as an end table. It has graciously stood beside a couple of different occasional chairs as I moved things around and has been used to showcase framed photographs, some of my National Geographic magazine collection, and a table lamp as well as a few objets d'art.
 
 
 
 
All along I believed I could put it to better use with more focus on it.
 
It has a rustic look and certainly that global feel with the aged, hammered brass around the edges. The legs are not perfectly straight but that is part of its unique quality.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 It has been moved to a new spot and I am working on styling it,  details of which I will share with you very soon.
 
 
 
 
Can you tell that I really like to mix things up a little?
 
 
I have not  been able to publish a blog post as frequently as before but I will get back to it soon. I am trying to pin down the kids' after-school schedule more accurately - particularly that of my high-schooler - but activities have picked up in the last couple of weeks. Weekends are similarly busy and I am also trying to finish up my Professional Organizing course before the holidays are upon us.
 
As always, thank you so much for your visits and comments.
 
 
If you require any help with Interior Decorating please click on the tab at the top of my page marked 'Services' or click here for further details.

 
I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.
 





10 comments:

  1. It's so cute! I love all the mixing that you do. That rug is still so clean and fresh looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special piece. Love where it is now an the vases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always grateful for a wonderful blog.
    Favorite season is autumn now Japanese.
    Mix, well I'm very nice old and the modern.
    If we also do not want to sample.
    I'm sorry I was wrong spelling.
    From Japan.
    Ryoma Sakamto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! i LOVE that table- it's so ethnic and funky and i love everything about it from the weathered wood to the brass details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how interesting your house is, Lisa. What a cool piece of furniture that makes your home unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great table with such an unusual impact! I love the tall vases... draws your eye down to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous table Lisa! Love it with the tall vases, and if you get tired of that you could always have a cushion made for it - would be an amazing ottoman! xx

    Anna (My Design Ehos)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a special and lovely piece. The unique dimensions would throw me off a bit in how to use it but thats not a problem for you! I could also see this piece, on special occasions, placed in the center of a large dining or buffet table as the centerpiece, with flowers or dessert etc arranged on it. I've never heard about this kind of table before so I'm glad I read this post ... learn something every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful, Lisa ~ I love unique pieces that you don't see often. Perfect for your fun eclectic style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a GREAT table (beautifully unique!). Pluuuuus, items that have a 'story' (travel from India) are always great. I love stories ... even if it's stories like ... I had to carry the item through the crazy subways of Manhattan hahaha.

    ReplyDelete