Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Basement Reorganizing Under Way

A few weeks ago I started reorganizing our basement. It has been the kids' playroom for almost thirteen years and has undergone a couple of changes of the years - after construction and again after a flood.

My kids are now fourteen and almost-eleven. They have outgrown a lot of the toys they accumulated over the years.

Now they are more into Band Hero and the Wii and playing loud music to listen to with their friends, watch television. The enjoy playing 'restaurant' and they still play 'school', use their tents and occasional play 'dress-up' for fun.

We had bought shelving from The Container Store many years ago. It is a free standing piece; quite large.

This was the shelves a few weeks ago when I had not organized or cleaned it up in weeks.






Wonderful!
There are items here that we decided to keep - arts and crafts miscellaneous, the more complicated puzzles, advanced board games, a domino set and so on.

A lot of crayons sent home at the end of each school year.



They need to be contained in this organizer, purchased at Lakeshore Learning Store.



We have outgrown Barbie and to some degree, Sponge Bob.




I gave them each some pink post-its to place on items they were quite sure they did not play with any longer. These would be handed-down to cousins, donated or thrown (if broken or missing pieces). It is tough to donate kids' items these days as most organizations do not accept them.

Much progress.
(The doll was purchased for me when I was very little by my father on one of his trips to Singapore).
Love Pictionary!


The keep pile grows but is manageable.


The shelves are finally empty! This piece has served us really well for many years. It will be moved into the adjoining garage for storage of other household items, like paint cans.


Now we can enjoy the striped walls I had painted some years ago. I will keep you updated on further progress.
I love reorganizing. It can be hard work but is therapeutic and so very rewarding.

I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.

10 comments:

  1. I love finding the time to reorganize. It feels so good to have only what you need and easy to find. Good luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great feeling! And I love the new look of your blog - it looks great! I also enjoy Pictionary but don't get to play it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i need to do this! and hey love the new blog look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing like a good toy purge! we are due too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love organizing too and purging is a favorite of mine! Especially stuff that no one is using. Is that a really sweet looking rug I spy in the last picture? The shelves will be perfect for holding paint cans. Have fun with organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine looks exactly the same, as your before! You're inspiring me to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, I was gleeful a few years back when we went through the same exercise. With kids it seems that the level of accumulation is astounding so the purging is a great feeling. LOVE the new blog design, that Elizabeth does a fabulous job. Like the tag line too, very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, lots to do! I didn't know you couldn't even donate lots of kids stuff anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Lisa looks like a big but rewarding job. Not having children I've never had to do this and we don't store anything in our basement. I wish you a lot of luck with your project and I'm sure it's going to look wonderful when you're finished. Try to have fun doing it.

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete