Friday, March 9, 2012

Update On The Dining Room Stenciling

Here is a glimpse of the dining room with some of the stenciling on the walls above the chair rail.



The edges of the wall (other than the top near the ceiling) have not been done yet. I had debated whether to use the border stencil (pictured below at the top of the wall) which was included with the original Saida Ikat stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils.



I decided I would incorporate it. I had purchased the clip-on stencil level which came in useful. I used it just for the top border and then worked my way down.


I used a dense foam roller .



The dining room is a decent size and since I am doing all the walls above the chair rail that is a lot of surface area to cover. I stenciled in stages due to time constraints.


The metallic paint I used went on perfectly but dried on thick. I washed the stencil after the first session of stenciling and did it really well but did not have the energy to scrub away after a second session. I tried peeling off the paint once it was completely dry. It came off perfectly for the most part as you can see below...


 
... but not so perfectly at the edges near the design.  That is the nature of the pattern. The more intricate the pattern, the more thorough one has to be with cleaning up.


So I ordered another one. This was recommended when tackling larger surface areas and I should have ordered two the first time. And so I wait for the new stencil to arrive.

In the meantime, we are all excited about the dining room and I walk in every so often and take a look at what has been accomplished thus far. If you recall, this was the before (no-so-great night shot).


And now.


The metallic paint looks amazing. I hope to be able to capture the effect of that with the camera once I am all done.

On another note, thank you for your lovely comments on my jewelry organizer . It might appear that I have a lot of jewelry but I have had some of the antique silver pieces for 20 years and some of the colorful bangles my daughters will wear now.
If you require any help with Interior Decorating please click on the tab at the top of my page marked 'Services' or click here for further details.

I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.
Lisa


33 comments:

  1. ooh i am So loving it! the color and pattern are AWESOME!!! drama! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, it's fabulous even in this unfinished state! Love your unique choice os metallic and the ikat stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, the wall color and stencil looks AMAZING!! I love it!! What a change this makes to the room! I have a Cutting Edge stencil and now that I see your ikat I wish I got that one - it looks so great!! Power through, girl, I know you can do it. A lot of work for sure but it'll be so worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, this is looking fabulous! Looks to be a very time consuming project, but so worth it as it will really update the look of the room. Can't wait to see the final reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color choices are perfect. I am looking forward to the reveal. Too bad that one stencil can't cover the whole job. It always takes "2" trips, I always say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much:) Yes when life is boring sometimes you have to have a little BLING in the roof to enjoy. I wish you a wonderful weekend:)

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful! The charcoal wall and this perfect stencil were made to be together. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun progress! A labor of love, I'm sure, but it's something you'll definitely enjoy for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I can't wait to see the finished product! I love the stencil you chose. Clicked over from Living Savvy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's turning out very nice. Looks like it's making a big change to what you had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going to look like metallic wallpaper when you are done - fantastic! I've seen other ikat stencils that didn't quite capture the motif for me, but the one you're using translates really well into a painted surface. Can't wait to see it finished {bet you can't either!}

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks modern and chic. I love it!!! Great job!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks really wonderful Lisa! good job, and good on you for taking on such a big and delicate project. I've been thinking about tackling a stenciled wall, but not sure I have the patience! Good tip on ordering two though.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw man, I wish that camera would get the metallic in there, it already looks completely amazing! What a fun dining room! Stenciling is hard work, but definitely worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great so far! I think stenciling looks like a lot of work. I have a stencil to use somewhere and it is quite detailed. I am a little shy about using it.

    Happy Weekend!
    Amy R.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the metallic paint against the dark wall colour Lisa - it's going to look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the dark walls Lisa and the metallic really pops. What a great way to get a wallpaper look and have fun at the same time...you are havving fun aren't you?....lol.

    XX my friend and enjoy your weekend!
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great! I love the metallic paint on the dark walls. You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The stencil looks great!! What a lot of work and talent to bring this to life!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the colour choices and the metallic paint came out perfectly! I bow down to your patient stencilling skills!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful!!! Love the traditional design.
    I landed here looking for pretty ideas for keeping a wooden bench indoors. (via google)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks AWESOME! A lot of work, but it sure is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. love it!! and the color is amazing. You will love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't you hate hang-ups on a big project like that? But, the best projects seem to always have a bump in the road. It's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE it! And so appreciate the tips...I would love to do a stencil on a wall in another house and the cleaning tips and that hanging level are awesome. I'm pinning it. :)
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's like a perfecttttt :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your stencil looks great Lisa!!! You do have a lot of area to cover, but your dining room will look amazing. I wish I had ordered the stencil level. I had some issues with keeping everything level, particularly going around corners.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your stencil looks beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. The ikat is really striking. I just received my Cutting Edge stencil in the mail yesterday. I will be stenciling a focal wall in my hallway. Any tips/advice you can share would be great!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lisa, I'm actually sharing your post with a friend. She is going to be doing a stencil in her living room and has contemplated the metallic paint. I told her that I had a post to send her as an example. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. ohhh that metallic paint is so interesting! pretty pretty. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love it! Great job! Can you please let me know hat kind of metallic paint you used as I am a little nervous about trying it but would love to!

    ReplyDelete