Friday, March 30, 2012

I Filled In The Stencil Pattern & A Quick Spackling DIY

After the last post about whether or not to fill in the stencil pattern above the window and doorways in the dining room I decided I would complete it. The responses I got were overwhelmingly in favor of that. Here is how it looks now, above the window.



Here is the 'before' above the door into the family room.



I did not cut the stencil as I had thought I might in order to stencil the top. I apologize for the lighting in this picture below - taken at night.




And again, here is the 'after' above the window. I took an 'after' pic in a hurry so I could share it with you today.



It makes a difference. The entire room will be revealed in time.


There was a large crack in the wall above one of the doorways towards the ceiling.
Before painting the dining room I fixed it.



Fixing a minor crack such as this is quite straightforward. There are many tutorials available online and I cannot recall which one I read to get some idea of the work involved but here is what I did.

I had this spackling paste left over from last year when I repainted the living room.




The instructions had indicated to cover it with plastic wrap after use which I had done, but there was some coloration at the top of the container when I reopened it.


I removed the plastic and removed some of the discolored substance and the spackle underneath was in fine condition to use.



 Using a spackle knife or putty knife, as it is sometimes called, I proceeded to apply a little amount along the crack, smoothed it over and removed any excess. Then I wiped it with a damp cloth.


I let it dry overnight.
The next day I sanded over the spackle to create a surface flush with the wall. All fixed and ready for paint.



Tomorrow, Saturday, I will be sharing an organizing tip on Tiffany's blog, Living Savvy, as part of her 'Organizing Month' series.

Organizing Month

I hope you will visit.
Enjoy your weekend!

If you require any help with Interior Decorating please click on the tab at the top of my page marked 'Services' or click here for further details.


I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.
Lisa

18 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! Lovely project.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait for the room reveal!!!! happy weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of those that said to leave the area above the windows but I have to admit it looks more finished...great job Lisa! Enjoy your weekend in whatever you do!

    Happy Friday!
    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pointing out the tip about covering the spackle with plastic wrap ... if I ever actually read a can I might have known, but I read your post so now I'm in the know! Can't wait to see the full reveal because these teases look great ... I'm really glad you decided to fill in the stencil. Have a great weekend!

    Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to the reveal! Love the stenciling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you completed the stenciling! It looks so beautiful. Looking forward to see the big reveal!

    Happy weekend, Lisa.

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a great decision on the stencil, Lisa! Anxiously awaiting your beautifully finished walls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that was totally the right decision on the stencil. It looks so amazing, I'm dying to see the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I super love your stencil pattern! Your wall looks amazing, and I think that must be hard to do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, fantastic. I can't wait, either. Yeah, another one down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stencil looks great above the door and window! Can't wait to see the whole room and so impressed with all your hard work! I've never done a stencil, but it seems time consuming, would love to hear more about how you found the process!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stencil looks so great compete in the room! I have been contemplating stenciling just not sure where yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the stencil you chose! It looks amazing. You did a great job! Seeing blue tape holding the stencil brought me back to my project- that's exactly how I held it up too! And I contemplated not stenciling all the way to the top too, but glad I did. And yours looks amazing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the way the stenciling turned out and what a nice finished look you created - nice work Lisa!! I did many a spackling jobs when we first bought our home so that tutorial brings back fond (or not so fond) memories. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, it looks wonderful! I want to try stenciling my dinning room. Cant find the time...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great! I'm glad you decided to fill in the stencil! I can't wait to see the whole room.

    ReplyDelete