Monday, February 27, 2012

Patterns In Nature

When I was little, my parents had a subscription to National Geographic magazine. I would spend hours enjoying the articles and pictures in every issue. We have many copies of the magazine in the house now and my kids enjoy them just like I did.

Every so often I visit the National Geographic website. One could spend hours. Here are a few examples of pictures taken across the globe depicting patterns in nature which I find truly inspirating for their quality of photography, color combinations and patterns, subject matter and sometimes just because they are visually spectacular or dramatic.

Flowers:

Photo: Close view of a calla lily
Calla Lily


Photo: Hibiscus flower petals
Hibiscus Petal

Photo: Giant lobelia
The leaves of a Lobelia Plant spiral around the center.
Mt. Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.

Photo: The flower of a claret cup cactus
The flower of a Claret Cup Cactus Flower.

Photo: Hairpin banksia
The Hairpin Banksia.
Eastern Australia.

Photo: Thorns on a prickly pear cactus
Sharp spines on a Prickly Pear Cactus.
The Galapagos Islands.

Photo: Coleus plants
Coleus Plants.
South America.

Photo: Water lily
Water Lily.
St. Louis.

Photo: Palm fronds
Palm Fronds; the leaf is symbolic in many religions.


Photo: A close view of a green leaf
Deep relief of a leaf's veins.

Water:

Photo: Sandbars on Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Sandbars.
Australia.

Photo: Water vortex
Whirpool.
France.

Photo: High tide on a black-sand beach in Manzanillo, Mexico
Black sand.
Mexico.

Photo: Water rippling in Costa Rica
Like an impressionist painting, water ripples.
Costa Rica.

Mysterious Earth:
Photo: Biplane above Monomoy Island, Massachusetts
Biplane flying over Monomoy Shoals, Massachusetts.

Photo: Light reflecting on a rock wall in Utah
Light paints patterns on a rock wall.
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Utah.

Photo: Ray of light from a cenote in Mexico
Sunlight through a freshwater sinkhole (cenote). 
Yucatan peninsula.

Photo: Antelope Canyon's smooth walls
Antelope Canyon.
Arizona.

Photo: Sand dunes in Namibia
Sand dunes.
Namib Desert, Namibia.

Trees:

Photo: Canadian white birch trees
White birch trees.
Manitoba, Canada

Butterflies:
Photo: Butterfly on gerbera daisies
Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly.

Photo: Zebra-winged butterfly
Zebra-winged Butterfly set off by the white petals of a flower. 
Nebraska.

Photo: Iridescent blue butterfly
Male Blue Morpho Butterfly with irridescent wings.


Auroras:

Photo: The aurora borealis over Wapusk National Park in Manitoba, Canada
Aurora Borealis.
Manitoba, Canada


Photo: Northern lights over snow
Yellowknife, Canada


Photo: Aurora over a forest
Troy, New York


I could fill up an entire gallery wall with these. There is so much more stunning photography to indulge in on the website. Do you visit the National Geographic website? Do you look to nature for inspiration?
All images via National Geographic.

If you require any help with Interior Decorating please click on the tab at the top of my page marked 'Services' or click here for further details.



I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.

Lisa

15 comments:

  1. As I was scrolling through, I was totally thinking, "Frame those up and throw 'em on a wall...perfection!" We were on the same train with that thought. Great inspiration. I've never thought to look there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! Wouldn't they make a gorgeous gallery wall?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning photos Lisa, nature constantly inspires me!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love looking at NG too! Love the photos you picked, I might need to head over and check out some more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had that subscription when I was growing up, too! Great magazine and inspiration, I love looking at nature for color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such stunning images! Love NG and have been reading it since I was a kid too. We watch the NG station on TV as well it's wonderful.

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa. Came across your blog after you re-pinned my "Mini Key Lime Tarts." These are gorgeous and nothing like NG for inspiring and stunning pictures. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature is very beautifulll totalyyy loved all the picsss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Talk about inspiration! Occasionally I'll pick up a National Geographic at the store and browse through the photos - amazing the images they capture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The National Geographic was the highlight of my trips to the doctor! I didn't even realise they had a website, I will definitely be a regular visitor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, those images are so amazing and would frame up so beautifully! This has me rethinking a wall I'm trying to pull together. That hibiscus petal is speaking to me!!
    My mom had a subscription to NG too and our house was filled with stacks of them growing up. I recently saw them in a shelter mag, stacked in a bookcase spines out for a punch of yellow, and loved that! Think I have to steal some from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Gorgeous photos....would make great prints!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness...like WOW! I forgot how much I loved National Geographic!! i am going to subscribe now so my kids can see pictures like this! maybe you should get a commission.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love the idea of art and design imitating nature. There is so much to love! These pictures are amazing and remind us of the beauty around us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, these images are amazing Lisa! So much beauty in nature!

    ReplyDelete