Monday, February 6, 2012

A Tudor In Bronxville, NY

While enjoying some pictures on Elle Decor I came across this dining room which I find architecturally stunning. I researched further and discovered that this is the reception of a 1927 tudor in Bronxville, NY, a few miles from where I live. This home was decorated by designer Steven Gambrel. It has been designed with casual and modern furnishings, perfect for the homeowners, a family with three young kids.

The reception has been converted into a dining room. It has the original staircase and a magnificent ceiling. The chandelier is vintage, dining table is English from the 1930s, carpet is 1920s Persian and the chairs are of cowhide.



Elegant library with comfortable seating - I love the deep sofa -which is not stuffy, and great windows. 1895 Swedish ceiling light; original-to-house built-in bookcase.

Oak panelling in the library is also original and was completely restored.

One of my favorite spaces  - the second floor hallway - with this stunning artwork which makes a bold statement. The painting is called Golden Butterflies and is by Hunt Slonem. Antique English bench and vintage European table and lamp.

Another amazing space with a magnificent ceiling. The foyer with ABC Carpet and Home runner, lamps made from 19th century French urns, antique light, vintage console.

Furniture in the family room by the designer. I love the painted doors here. Vintage lighting.

The sunroom has the original French doors and coffered ceiling. Furniture is by the designer and rug is custom-made whereas lamps are from the 1950s.

Marble countertops and custom cabinets in this great white kitchen with vintage light fixtures. The coffered ceiling is new.

I love the use of blue and green in this guest room.

Luxurious master bath.

The master bedroom boasts a custom headboard, antique bench and 1920s French chandelier.

All images via. Photography Simon Upton

Do you like the overall feel of this home? I think the designer was very successful in giving the homeowners a relaxed, comfortable and modernized home without compromising the overall aesthetics of the original 1927 tudor. Which is your favorite room?

If you require any help with Interior Decorating please click on the tab at the top of my page marked 'Services' or click here for further details.

I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.
Lisa

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Traditional with a bit of edginess...love it! The sunroom is my fave...
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! The oversized artwork in the foyer is amazing! I love all the casual details that keep it from being too stuffy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I started keeping track of my favorites as I scrolled down and then just gave up... they are all gorgeous!!! But I do really love that blue sun room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The home is stunning! I love all of the intricate architectural details and the painting of the butterflies is to die for.

    www.idesignlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The barreled ceilings are rockin'! I love architectural details, they add so much character to a room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful home. Love it's warm and sophisticated feel, and the ceilings of every room are stunning!!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really lovely home and I love the attention to detail. The shades of blue carried throughout the home is also really nice and a unifying touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you, I think they have managed to modernise the spaces whilst being sympathetic to the original architecture. The ceilings are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every design is unique and wonderfull sply masterbath,white kitchen and built in cabinet,european table and lamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what Steven did with this home, he took something that is typically dark and lighten it up and made it livable for a family. He didn't strip the whole house of its original features but made them work, this is what I call good design. I don't really like Tudor design but done well I guess I do because I love this home.

    XX's Lisa!
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah I want to live there...looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love historical homes. I think the designer did such a nice job on keeping things traditional with a few updates. The sunroom and kitchen are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowza! Where do I start? It is beautiful - I love the foyer with the old lanterns used as light fixtures and the kitchen. Have you done a driveby of the home yet (if you know where it is)? It's very grand and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful, love all the pictures :D

    santiroyalhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool that his house is near yours! I remember seeing this home in Elle when it was published in the magazine and just died over that kitchen. I want one just like it!!! It was such a treat to see more pictures of the home in your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these images. So many great rugs. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That house does have some wonderful architectural details! I love those in a house. I like the overall light feeling the house too. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember reading about this in Elle Decor...love the hidden gems all around us! THanks for posting...now I am going to start pinning these pics!

    ReplyDelete