Friday, January 6, 2012

Stationery Closet Part 2 - The Stenciling Begins

In my last post I talked about the initial plan for the closet in terms of decorating the interior walls. I chose to stencil. You could read about it here. That was Part 1. Today I will share with you Part 2 (of 3 or perhaps 4).

I emptied the closet and removed the shelves. I then proceeded to mix my paint samples, Behr's Tibetan Orange and Benjamin Moore's Honeywheat. I have a supply of Zoo Pals disposable paper plates for when littler kids visit and these plates do occasionally come in useful for my mini projects. I used this little creature this particular day because the orange in the ears tied in to the orange paint and I like to keep everything coordinated when I am working on a project. Actually, I was kidding..it is just a coincidence but it does look pretty with that bubble gum pink face, doesn't it?

I noticed a few scuff marks in spots which I decided to clean up with Mister Magic as I was not planning to paint the walls. They are, for the most part, in fine condition.

I brought out a couple of sponge brushes from my small stockpile, a measuring tape for basic measuring and some Scotch Blue tape to hold the stencil in place. I did soak and scrub the stencil after initial use although it still looks discolored - it was technically clean. (Should have had the light on for this picture).

The work begins...this was fun. I had mentioned in the earlier post that I wanted to get a wood-blocked effect and so I proceeded to stencil with a sponge brush. I held it perpendicular to the wall; light jabs.
First one done.

Stencil removed. A closer view. As you can see there is slight bleeding in a couple of spots but I like it like that.
On to the next one. I started this time on the left.

 Right-hand bottom corner and so on...

Then I decided to work the stencil pattern upward from the middle.
My pattern was determined as I got further into the stenciling. Sometimes it is easier to have a pattern in mind before starting but I was not fussed about that and knew it would fall into place. If you have been following my blog for a while you will know that this is how I sometimes do my home projects.

A closer look at multiple sunflowers. So far so good.
Well, naturally, I did not leave it at that. More pictures to follow soon. Have a great weekend!
 
If you require any help with Interior Decorating please click on the tab at the top of my page marked 'Services' or click here for further details.
I would love for you to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.
Lisa
Please Note: I have not been compensated in any way for this post.


Linking up to


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

MotivatedMondayatBeColorful

16 comments:

  1. that looks so fun, lisa! love the color and design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So happy to have found your blog and I look forward to following back!! I love the idea of turning this little space into a stationary closet...so functional and cute too. Orange is such a great accent color! I started a closet project before Christmas (haven't touch it since) I might stencil the inside now after seeing your... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good Lisa! I love the color you're using. I am thinking it might be time to add a pop or red- orange to my home too. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stencil! I'm a big stencilling fan. Working on my dining room ceiling this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Found yuo through Finding Fabulous. Love the stenciled wall. I have been thinking about buying one. I'm trying to decide if I should install subway tile on my kitchen backsplash or go with a really cool stencil. Decisions, decisions. Great job!

    maxwellhouseinteriors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is awesome, Lisa!!! Such a cool project! I've been wanting to stencil something, would never have thought to do it in closet! Such a great pattern you came up with and the orange you mixed is going to be such a great accent to the blue. Laughing at the plates, I always use totally random paper/plastic plates and bowls to mix things in:)

    Thank you so much for the idea about using pennants or garlands in Maura's nursery away from home! Love that and so mad I didn't think of it myself!! I still have more paper chain from her party sitting in our basement, I suppose I could use that in the meantime. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stencil looks amazing!! What a nice punch of color and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your stenciling!! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool is this? Loving it. Can't wait to see your finished product - although for me this just might be good enough. :0 So happy you are sharing your progress here at BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool! Did it take a while? I've been reluctant to try stenciling because I'm afraid of the huge time commitment to finish, but I'm wondering if it still takes a while with a larger stencil? In any case, your wall looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's looking wonderful and you couldn't have chosen a better colour! Will be popping in to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's looking great! I love those magic erasers! Have a Great Week!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for great tutorial, it is lovely.well done.

    http://aprettylife13.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great, Lisa! Love the color. Looking forward to see the rest!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete