Friday, July 8, 2011

Scarf as Artwork

Over the years I have built up a small collection of silk scarves. I bought some in India and some were given to me as gifts. All beautiful and colorful. Recently, while looking through my closet one day, I realized that I had to enjoy them more; use them decoratively, on display in some way. 

This is one of the scarves
                                                                                    

I knew that I did not want to glue or staple them to anything. I decided to frame them and looked for frames in various places. I did not want anything fancy (purely functional) as I wanted the scarves to be the stars of the artwork. I bought two poster frames with a metallic finish, something similar to this one, from Target.
Room Essentials® Poster Frame

I had initially thought to frame each piece individually but the scarves are of different sizes, rectangular or square, and with different patterns, with or without borders, so I decided to combine them in some way. This is what I came up with.


Putting it all was quite straightforward. Instead of framing all four in one frame I decided to combine two, so one could truly appreciate the different designs. I determined which two scarves to combine in each frame and which part of the patterns I wanted to highlight.


I gently folded them, not worrying about perfectly straight folds because I did not want that. I wanted them to look like fabric, not prints.
 (I could not get a close-up without the flash reflecting).




 I might redo them after a while, experiment with a different layout, perhaps; change the look so as not to damage the fabric where folded. 

For now, these are propped up on the floor of my living room (where I left them after framing) until I decide where to put them if not to leave them where they are. I want to display them away from direct light.
I like how these turned out. What do you think?

Thank you for stopping by; please do check back often.
Lisa



10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I haven't thought of that before. And combining them together in the same frame totally takes it to another level!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great! Love the frames.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Such a beautiful idea! I can't believe how pretty they look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they look great! I love the colors in them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea. Love it and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! Such a pretty, quick update to a room that adds a splash of color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These scarves are beautiful. What a great idea to display them so that you get to enjoy them on a daily basis! Thanks for linking to my party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cool..... awesome idea executed exceptionally well.
    I need to look at all the other posts by you. Following you!

    -Tanya
    http://www.tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that you have so many blog parties to choose from so thank you for choosing Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. This post is added to the party blast! Enjoy the rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking. The party for this week - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner - is on. Hope to see you there with latest posts.
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-2-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete